Nomenclature (was: NEXT Color Printer find

From: Ian Koller <>
Date: Tue Jan 1 10:47:43 2002

And full circle to the intra national regional
differences and inter national differences in
language I mentioned. And it has always been
so. "There is nothing so constant as change".
Read the english language as written in the
17th and 18th centuries, or even the written
form of Shakespeare's or Chaucer's day.

Geoff Roberts wrote:
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Chris" <>
> To: "Classic Computers" <>
> Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2002 4:45 PM
> Subject: Re: Nomenclature (was: NEXT Color Printer find
> > >If WE use the wrong term
> > >amongst ourselves, we'll certainly never show others that there's benefit
> in
> > >calling it a crescent wrench when, to some folks, "the silver-colored
> > >thingie," would do.
> >
> > But, given the arguments that have been going on, you shouldn't call it a
> > Crescent wrench either. That is the name of the manufacturer of a
> > particular kind of wrench, and although generally accepted as meaning an
> > "adjustable wrench" is not any more technically correct than the
> > "Centronics" connector's name.
> FWIW, in OZ it's called a shifting spanner or just a "shifter", thought
> adjustable spanner or just adjustable would probably be recognised, but it's
> not the common term.
> Crescent wrench will get you a "what the #$%^ is a crescent wrench".
> In fact the term "wrench" is normally only used for the "Monkey Wrench"
> favoured by plumbers.
> What you call a 'Wrench" we call a "Spanner" generally.
> Except for a "socket" which I think is the same in both countries.
> > If you ask some mechanics for a crescent wrench, you might get locking
> > pliers... ones that are commonly called a "Vise Grip", which is ALSO
> > technically incorrect for the same reason Crescent is wrong.
> They get called "Multigrips" here generally, though "Visegrip" would
> probably be recognised.
> > But then, for the question of the century... if you strictly adhere to
> > calling an item by its name, and NOT by the commonly used term, which in
> > many cases is the manufacturer's or common usage name...
> In the USA perhaps. Not necessarily so around here.
> >what should you
> > call a Yo-Yo? (just seeing how many people know the answer to this one)
> Who knows? It's a YoYo here too.
> Cheers
> Geoff in Oz
Received on Tue Jan 01 2002 - 10:47:43 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:34:51 BST