OT? Apple Stylewriter problems (update)

From: Tothwolf <tothwolf_at_concentric.net>
Date: Fri Jan 18 22:34:46 2002

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Russ Blakeman wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Tothwolf wrote:
> > Are there 3 indentations around the edges of the fasteners? If so,
> > these could be a type of Japanese fastener often found in mid '80s to
> > early '90s video game systems. Bits that fit those kinds of fasteners
> > are available, at about $1.50-$2 each, and they come in 2 different
> > sizes.
> Or you could check a tool supplier like MCM electronics and just pop for a
> one-time purchase on a multi-type "security bit" set - I got a nice set in a
> pliable small holder last year with nearly every common security bit for
> under $30. I thought maybe I'd never use all of t hem but I've used all but
> maybe 3 of them.

Well, I wouldn't exactly call MCM a tool supplier... The multi-type
security bit set they sell does not come with bits that fit the Japanese
fasteners. MCM does sell them separately, tho. In some newer equipment
that uses these fasteners, those bits are of no use, since the screws are
to far down in the hole. The Nintendo Game Cube is an example of this kind
of equipment. Full length Japanese screwdrivers are available that fit
those things, but after import, they typically cost $20-30 (ouch) each.

I was recently asked to work on equipment that had tri-wing screws holding
it together. It was apparent someone had tried to use pliers to remove the
screws, but was unsuccessful. I don't yet have a set of tri-wing bits, so
MCM might get some business from me after all.

Received on Fri Jan 18 2002 - 22:34:46 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:34:56 BST