Soldering and other skills (was Re: QL-Quality (Was: ZX-81 Question))

From: John Chris Wren <jcwren_at_jcwren.com>
Date: Sun Mar 31 23:56:32 2002

        If you're truly concerned about lead uptake, I believe there is a test you
can have done. I have no idea if it's a biopsy of an organ that's most
susceptible to lead uptake, or if they can do it with a blood sample. You
might pull a MSDS for the solder you use the most, and see what they
mention.

        I solder maybe an hour a week, on average. This thought has crossed my
mind, along with all the other dumb shit stuff I've exposed myself to.
Paints, fuels, glues, assorted chemicals, sand blasting for a week without
breathing protection (silicosis, microscopic particles of silicate that wind
up in the lungs), exhaust, Dog knows what else.

        I do know it's highly recommended to have good ventilation when soldering
(something I'm not the always the best about. "Well, it's just tacking a
couple wires. I don't need to get the fan out.") And now, with these
so-called 'No Kleen' solders, who knows what fumes *they* put off. We
pretty much knew what rosin, tin and lead would do. Then you start adding
in liquid fluxes and stuff... Who knows.

        --John