Write only programming

From: Loboyko Steve <sloboyko_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Mar 1 09:02:37 2002

What really irks me are comments like this:

--start the loop
while SQL%NOTFOUND LOOP
--end the loop
END LOOP;
--assign the value 34 to A
a:=34;

In other words, asanine comments that add no value
whatsoever to an explanation of the purpose of
statements or routines. I would rather have two lines
at the top of a routine explaining what it does and
why than 500 comments like the above. Comments like
these are caused by managers who demand X number of
comments per Y lines of code and/or extremely
egotistical and/or lazy programmers.

As far as write-only code is concerned, I can write
clear, understandable code in many languages; I can
also write absolutely incomprehensible code in those
same languages!