Getting Unix to run on a PDP-11/34

From: Hans Hübner <hans_at_Huebner.ORG>
Date: Sun Mar 3 04:06:12 2002

Hi,

this weekend, we have been unsuccessful trying to get one of the ancient Unix
versions (V6 or V7) to run on a PDP-11/34. The plan is to have an ancient
PDP-11 on the VCFe in Munich running a proper version of Unix.

THe machine has two RK05 drives, RX01 floppy and a TS03 tape drive. Our first
problem is that we have been unable to find or make up a TS03 bootstrap.

We considered using RT-11 to transfer disk images to RK05 drives, but we could
not figure out how to get the image straight to the disk without having to
store it in an intermediate file and writing a RT-11 program to access the
disk sector-by-sector.

We have a lot of hardware at our disposal, so we took a Emulex TC12 Pertec
tape controller from a 11/44 (the 11/44 would also be nice as demonstration
CPU, but it has a SMD disk controller for which we have no drives). Not
having any documentation on the TC12 we just put it into the 11/34, but it did
not work (bus error LED lit).

So we're kind of stuck. Any ideas, hints or pointers (especially to a TC12
print set) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hans

--
                                       finger hans_at_huebner.org for details