OT: Netscape data files

From: David C. Jenner <djenner_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sun Mar 3 13:31:05 2002

If it's Netscape V4.7, or derived from that version, the directory tree looks like this:

Program Files (or whatever)
   Netscape
      Communicator
         (This folder and subfolders have all the programs and their associated files.)
      Users
         <username>
            abook.nab (this file contains the addressbook)
            Mail
               folder-name (this file contains the text of messages in the folder)
               folder-name.smn (this file is apparently an index of the messages)

If a folder contains folders, then the structure is, at this level:

               folder-name.sbd (this folder contains what the Mail folder does above)
               folder-name (this file contains the text of messages in the folder)
               folder-name.smn (this file is apparently an index of the messages)

and so forth, recursively, until all subfolders are enumerated.

It is possible to reconstruct all this, since I've done it when merging mail
from several different machines.

If it's Netscape V6, all the data are in Documents and Settings for the user,
and it gets much more complex because you can have multiple ISP accounts for
a given user.

Dave

--
David C. Jenner