"noW greeNways replete with joggers"

From: Fred Cisin <cisin_at_xenosoft.com>
Date: Tue Mar 5 12:27:39 2002

A number of years ago, I heard about one RR's plan for the future.
Apparently Southern Pacific RR (aka SPRINT!) had a very special train car
that was very slowly travelling their entire system. As it went along, it
dug a trench, laid cable and covered over the trench. The RR would not
divulge numbers, but freely acknowledged that it was making much more
money on its right-of-way for laying cable than it did by running trains.

I'd guess that they probably get plenty for converting their tracks to
jogging trails, but retain right of way rights for underground cable along
those trails that they build "for the good of the community".

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred        cisin_at_xenosoft.com