Suggestions for hauling Computer Garage from Beaverton, ORto Yates Center, KS?

From: Roger Merchberger <zmerch_at_30below.com>
Date: Tue Mar 5 18:59:04 2002

Rumor has it that Gary Hildebrand may have mentioned these words:

>I have driven diesel engines as a personal vehicle for 170k miles.
>There are tricks to get them started.

[snip]

>One thing that works rather well is an ordinary hand held air dryer,
>stuck into the intake manifold. Spraying WD40 works quite well too.
>And a lot less effort.

For those who think we're getting into a pissing match, I see this as a
serious, but amicable discussion.... That said...

Those techniques are great, unless it's a 500HP engine you're trying to get
started... I've been around my dad and helped him start, fix, grease,
change tires, etc. his trucks for several *million* miles as a vehicle that
"if it don't run, we don't eat..."

Trying to get that big of an engine that *doesn't* want to start takes a
*lot* more than a hairdryer & a squirt of WD40... [ Oh, did I mention the 4
*big honkin'* batteries? ;-) ]

>Merch, learning about the diesel's quirks is the best way to work with
>them, just like learning a different o/s on a computer. If more people
>had learned about the diesels back in the early 80's, we'd see many more
>on the highways today. And if diesels were so bad, why don't OTR trucks
>go to them??? 'nuff said.

I never said diesels are bad -- I just said that they don't start for $*it
in the cold, especially if they have a big engine... And the thread started
about people who'd prolly never run a diesel before, and would only run it
for a weekend or maybe a week - by the time the started learning the
quirks, they'd have gotten a *big* education, then arrived at their
destination.

Oh, and if you wanna pull hindsight into the fray, the biggest reason we
aren't all burning ethanol/methanol is because Congress said "it would take
20 years to change the infrastructure" during the big oil crunch of '73...
The work would have been finished almost 10 years ago, and it pollutes one
helluva lot less than diesel or gasoline...

There's nothing better than waking up, getting out of the cab of your truck
at the truckstop at 6 a.m., and taking in a big breath of diesel fumes --
still one of my favorite smells. (Honest - I'm not joking!) but that's why
most truckers from the northern parts either 1) shut down their truck for 2
months, or 2) stick to the southern states...

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger
--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   ---   sysadmin, Iceberg Computers
Recycling is good, right???  Ok, so I'll recycle an old .sig.