Shipping Big Iron & Rail Right-Of-Way Abandonment

From: John Chris Wren <jcwren_at_jcwren.com>
Date: Wed Mar 6 00:25:16 2002

        I imagine one of the contributing factors to the problems with railroads is
their intense unionization. Nothing like a union to impede progress. It
about took an act of Congress to get them to accept those caboose lamps,
instead of cabooses. The only reason it went through was because the
railroad could get more profit (one less car to pull), and that goes into
the profit sharing plan.

        Rails and road beds do deteriorate, with and without use. The beds are
pretty well laid, but weather just like any berm. Rails rust and pit (when
not used regularly), and switches sieze. Tracks periodically need
resurfacing (a pretty neat operation, complete with rail cars with lasers
mounted on them), and crossings need maintainence (I don't know this for a
fact, but I suspect they are some of the more high wear items, especially
the ones that still use timber instead of "Parco").

        The other problem with rail is that it still takes surface transport to
move it from the rail head to the warehouse. As warehouses and
manufacturing plants are moved out of cities because of tax reasons, you
still have a cost of loading it into a cargo container and moving it to/from
the rail head.

        A rail shipment may also be held until enough cars are destined for a
certain area. Next to shipping by boat, shipping by train is probably the
slowest method to get something some where, as far as total transit time. A
truck can be anywhere in the US in a matter of 4 days. For perishible
items, trucks are far more viable. Also, trucks generally ride better than
rail cars, so delicate cargoes benefit from the air-ride suspension systems.

        I indirectly have a project that involves state highway systems. The
Eisenhower interstate system has a rule that 1 out of every 5 miles of
interstate must be suitable for landing a military aircraft on (I don't know
what model. I think this predated the C-130). There are variations in this
rule, depending on airport locales, proximity to cities and military bases,
etc. But take a look sometime when you get a little ways out from the city.
Straight sections of highway, with no bridges, power lines, tall signs, etc.
That's the 1 in 5 mile section.

        --John