S/370 docs (was: Re: IBM big iron.)

From: Lawrence Walker <lgwalker_at_mts.net>
Date: Wed Mar 6 02:18:44 2002

 I didn't respond to this thread earlier cause I couldn't find the document.
Don't know whether IBM would prohibit it's availability but I have the
IBM Systems OS/VS-DOS/VSE-VM/370 Assembler Language manual
6th ed(1979)

 While I don't want to part with it, I could make it available for scanning.

Lawrence

> Toth,
>
> Brian Knittel and I would be happy to put your S/370 documents up on
> IBM1130.ORG. Its planned organization (i.e. the organization that is not
> currently showing on it) includes sections for "related systems,"
> primarily S/360 and earlier unit record (punched card) systems. But S/370
> is very cool; that'd be great. (Besides, both of us have been looking
> for S/370 manuals to help us understand how to administer MVS, VM, and CMS
> on Hercules.)
>
> If you need help scanning, I will try. I have a big backlog of things to
> scan, but when I start a pile it goes pretty fast (practice!).
>
> Norm Aleks
>

> On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Tothwolf wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, William Donzelli wrote:
> >
> > > IBM docs really are very good and complete - probably more so than
> > > anyone else's. They are a pain in the neck to read, unless you can
> > > speak the language.
> > >
> > > The chips (SLTs) are not too bad. They can still be found on scrap IBM
> > > boards. Interfacing to them is no big deal - the characteristics are
> > > known.
> >
> > With all the talk of IBM systems and docs today, I remembered I had some
> > IBM books put away. I found four 1.5" binders worth, and they all appear
> > to be related to S/370 operations and software. If there is any interest
> > in these, I'd be willing to scan them if I can find a place to host the
> > resulting files.
> >
> > -Toth

Reply to: lgwalker_at_mts.net

Love of the Goddess makes the poet go mad
he goes to his death and in death is made wise.
Robert Graves