Shipping Big Iron & Rail Right-Of-Way Abandonment

From: Lawrence Walker <lgwalker_at_mts.net>
Date: Wed Mar 6 02:18:45 2002

 Try all over North America. It's been going on for years. The joke of it all is
that transportation gurus are now tending to think that rail is the more
economical way. Better for the environment and causing less damage to
the roads not to mention the congestion and delay of the highways.
 It escapes me why they ripped up the track in the first place. The scrap
value of the steel couldn't have offset the cost of doing so and should you
ever change your mind there's no going back except with astronomical costs.
 The trucking industry lobby had a finger in the pie methinks.

Lawrence

> From: Chad Fernandez <fernande_at_internet1.net>
>

> >Where has rail been ripped up? I've never heard of that happening. Is
> >it a national trend?
>

> Try around NY, Boston and east coast in general, especially the metro
> regions. Many of the rails have been abandoned over the last 50 years
> and are being removed infavor of many uses from trails to roads.
>
> A big waste if you ask me.
>
> Allison

Reply to: lgwalker_at_mts.net

Love of the Goddess makes the poet go mad
he goes to his death and in death is made wise.
Robert Graves