Hosting Recommendations

From: Sean 'Captain Napalm' Conner <spc_at_conman.org>
Date: Wed Mar 6 17:37:20 2002

It was thus said that the Great jeff.kaneko_at_juno.com once stated:

> I don't know about the other carriers, but I'm here to tell
> you that RoadRunner (at least, it's incarnation here in Kansas)
> really, truly, sucks ass:
>
> 1. They charge for basic cable in addition to my network
> connection, even though I don't use the cable TV part.

  To ``help'' you avoid getting arrested for cable fraud:

             http://www.geocities.com/flutocracy/cablemodem.htm

> 2. ftp & http access to machines I have attached to the network
> is *blocked* ( can get in via TELNET; whoop, whoop).

  HTTP is probably blocked because of Nimda and Code Red worms. When we got
a cable modem [1] I found out that they were blocking incoming port 80. I
was upset at first but I was then reminded of the various Windows worms that
are still very active.

  FTP because the default server for most Linux distributions is a piece of
crap (wu-ftpd) that is easily exploited, would be my guess.

  Or ... since this is a residential service you ``shouldn't'' be running
those services, right? Bloody providers---I want a pipe thank you. Not
hand holding.

  -spc (And heaven help you if you change network cards ... )