Teac FD-55B Floppy Oddity

From: John Chris Wren <jcwren_at_jcwren.com>
Date: Wed Mar 6 19:11:14 2002

Tony,

        I'm probing around on the PCB, and here's what I find. Pin 42 is staying
low, no matter what. Shorting pin 41 to ground causes the head to load with
a nice solid thunk. I'm starting to wonder if the drive *is* (or ever was)
jumpered correctly. I have HM jumpered (on the block with DS0/DS1, etc),
and MX (on that same block). Also jumpered is 'PM', off by itself. There
are no jumpers on the 2x8 block, which contains labels such as 'UR', 'ML',
'HL', 'SM', 'UO', and 'RE'. There seems to be one other label on that block
that the silkscreen smeared on, and I can't read.

        If this jumpering sounds reasonable (head load on motor start is what I
think I want), can you tell me the signal path from the 'HM' jumper to
wherever it goes?

        Thanks very much,
                --John