Seen on RISKS-L

From: Sellam Ismail <foo_at_siconic.com>
Date: Thu Mar 7 06:56:51 2002

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Eric J. Korpela wrote:

> >Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 09:51:50 -0000
> >From: "LEESON, Chris" <CHRIS.LEESON_at_london.sema.slb.com>
> >Subject: Metro: Time runs out for Domesday discs
> >
> >The BBC's 1986 Domesday Project (a time capsule containing sound, images,
> >video and data defining life in Britain) is now unreadable. The data was
> >stored on 12-inch video discs that were only readable by the BBC Micro, of
> >which only a handful still exist. The time capsule contains "250,000 place

It's pretty silly when folks write articles like this and don't bother to
do even the minimum of research, which would have revealed that there are
plenty of BBC Micros still in existence. If the writer is referring to
the video disc player (which would make more sense) then I can believe
that there may only be a "handful" of complete systems left in existence,
but this begs the question of why, inspite of them, this makes the
videodiscs "unreadable".

Duh.

Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *