Soldering old iron (was: Re: I have a PDP-11/34 programmer'sconsole,what should I do with it?

From: Ethan Dicks <erd_6502_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Mar 7 12:15:27 2002

--- Ben Franchuk <bfranchuk_at_jetnet.ab.ca> wrote:
> Reminds me of getting TTL of old PCB's... gas torch and a good thump.
> Never tried it myself.

Works on old enough boards - double-sided mostly. Multilayer boards
have thicker plating and smaller effective-diameter through-holes.

Doesn't work well if the leads are clinched.

Personally, I reflow the board over a solder pot that's overfilled, and
remove the ICs with a chip puller (to keep my hands away from them, and
to provide enough grip to make clinched leads release). I have recovered
a few pounds of 41256 chips that way (from boards that were previously
stripped of other things) and a wad of things off ISA motherboards.

-ethan