Punch Card Humor

From: Douglas Quebbeman <dhquebbeman_at_theestopinalgroup.com>
Date: Fri Mar 8 15:17:46 2002

> > Too bad you didn't go to my high school, 1980-1982...
>
> I graduated in 1982.

Ah, same time frame I was working for the schools
(having graduated in 1975).

> We didn't have any fancy scanners for scoring tests, our
> teachers had to do that by hand. We did have a lot of the
> scanned tests for standardized testing and such, but of
> course those all were sent off for scoring.

Indiana has had a strong committment to education
during most of my life. We insitiuted a state-wide
system for tracking student progress in basic skills
beginning in 1980, and we did a good job, but failed
to pilot the system; if you think you know something
about what sysadmins call "lusers", imagine a group
of people who talk all day to 2nd graders then you
have to explain a command-driven interface to them...

...to make a long story short, basic skills testing
got bad press from teachers in Indiana, even before
the parents started getting a more accurate idea of
how their kids were actually performing.

-dq