OpenSTEP for VMS

From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl_at_proxima.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri Mar 8 18:15:36 2002

> Subject: Re: OpenSTEP for VMS
> To: classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org
> Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:44:44 -0800 (PST)
> From: "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh_at_aracnet.com>
> Sender: owner-classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org
>
> > I have heard that OpenSTEP ran on VMS (Alpha) at one point.
> >
> > Having never heard of, nor seen this, I am curious, and would
> > like to acquire a copy of this miraculous thing to run at home
> > (on a hopefully soon-to-be-had DEC 3000, using the VMS hobbyist
> > license...)
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea where to get it?
> >
> > Chris
>
> First I've heard of it. It primarily ran on NeXT hardware (of course), x86
> systems, and had limited support for HP and Sparc. I've *never* heard VMS
> mentioned as having any sort of an OPENSTEP environment.

There was a time when some Alpha AXP enthusiasts who, I believe, worked
for a European subsidiary of DEC, started to port NeXTstep to the Alpha
hardware. To us NeXT fans, this seemed too good to be true, and mostly
that's how it ended up. Unsupported, unloved, and unfinished.

    carl
--
        carl lowenstein   marine physical lab   u.c. san diego
                                          clowenstein_at_ucsd.edu