DEC distribution tapes - VAX vs RISC

From: Mzthompson_at_aol.com <(Mzthompson_at_aol.com)>
Date: Sun Mar 10 13:10:05 2002

On Sat, 9 Mar 2002; Jochen <jkunz_at_unixag-kl.fh-kl.de> wrote:

> On 8 Mar, Mzthompson_at_aol.com wrote:
>
> > So the question is when did the RISC series of processors come into
> > use, and are these 'unmarked' tapes likely for VAX?
>
> The DECstation 3100 was the first RISC Unix workstation made by DEC. It
> came in 1989 to the market.

Thanks, that was what my old and vague memory was recalling.

> From there
> on none of the new MicroVAXen / VAXstations was supported by Ultrix.

What are you considering new? I am looking at the Ultrix 4.x Basic
Installation guide dated 1990 and it lists over a dozen uVAX's, VAXservers,
and VAXstations.

> AFAIK Ultrix 3.0 was current at that time.

Sounds about right.

So it would seem OK to say that these tapes I have are for VAX. Looking
at the tapes:

1) Ultirx-32 V2.0 16 USR TK50 1987

   My question here would be was this the only tape needed to install
   this version?

2) Ultrix-32 V2.2-1 Supp TK50 1988

   With this tape marked 'SUPP' I suspect that I only have the one tape
   of a multi-tape set.

Well, someone else on the list was asking if I had any versions of Ultrix
for VAX. I guess it looks like a possibility.

Thanks,
Mike