Free: older hardware, mainly PC

From: Christopher Smith <csmith_at_amdocs.com>
Date: Tue Mar 12 15:11:17 2002

I agree completely -- in principal, of course, that said, most
PC-users shouldn't replace soldered in chips :)

> upgrade a 16450
> to a 16550 if it's soldered in. Things like that. I don't
> want those sort
> of ideas polluting this list :-)

As long as the replacement chip is compatible, sure, it really
is generally that easy, but there are certainly cases where I
wouldn't normally try it. For instance, a board with several
layers, which has the chip "integrated" onto the top. Even
then, if you're desperate enough, you might be able to cut a
few pins and work that way.

Anyway, the point is that (and you've made this point before)
replacing things is becoming much less simple.

I've seen some things on some boards which I would not consider
"replicable," since my definition in this context would include
"without robotic assistance, or a clean-room."
 ;)

Chris

Christopher Smith, Perl Developer
Amdocs - Champaign, IL

/usr/bin/perl -e '
print((~"\x95\xc4\xe3"^"Just Another Perl Hacker.")."\x08!\n");
'