CD-ROM on RT-11?

From: Tom Leffingwell <tom_at_sba.miami.edu>
Date: Tue Mar 12 19:42:01 2002

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> Yes, it is possible. The real trick is finding a SCSI CD-ROM that will work
> with your SCSI Adapter! In my case I'm using a Viking QDT with a DEC RRD-42
> drive (I think that's the right drive, it's the one that uses standard
> caddies).

Yeah, the RRD40 was the one with the special DEC caddies where you never
had to touch the CD. I think I still have one somewhere. RRD42 used the
standard caddies, and was double speed I believe. RRD43 was the one where
the disk snapped into it, and the RRD45 was the 4x speed tray one, and the
RRD46 was the 12x speed tray one. I'll have to see what I have. Its more
than likely going to be an RRD43 though, but I would think it would work.

> I feel a lot safer being able to restore from CD's rather than old
> flakey TK50's. Basically you just burn a disk image of a HD that's
> been built on that controller to a CD-R. I've done this for RT-11,
> RSX-11M, and RSX-11M+. Of the three RT-11 complains the least about
> being on CD. The two RSX's I tried *really* don't like it, but appear
> to come up enough that I should be able to copy them to a real HD.

I may give this a shot then. I think its my best option.

-Tom