MV-II Diags & Customer Diags

From: Clint Wolff <vaxman_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sun Mar 17 07:50:13 2002

Hi Doc,

You ROCK! I've been looking for the MVII diags for a long time
now!

'dd' will only make a copy of the first file, and there are many
files on the tapes, so you will have to do multiple 'dd's with
the non-rewind device, figure out the block size of each file,
and document that with the image.

In the past I have used 'dd bs=32768', then divided the number
of partial blocks in by the file size to get block size and the
file in one step. IE '0+278 records in', and a file size of 142336
means a block size of 512.

I would suggest choosing some naming convention for the files like
'MVII-DIAG-MAINT.001', 'MVII-DIAG-MAINT.002', etc and include a
shell script to create a tape from the files:

#!/bin/sh
dd if=MVII-DIAG-MAINT.001 of=$TAPE bs=512
dd if=MVII-DIAG-MAINT.002 of=$TAPE bs=10240
mt -f $TAPE offline
echo "Done"

At least that was my plan when I contemplated backing up tapes. These
files can easily be burned onto a CD-R for offline storage as well.

Regards,
Clint