DSQD Drives (Was: RE: Diags/Boot image for Altos 580)

From: Marvin Johnston <marvin_at_rain.org>
Date: Sun Mar 17 13:28:31 2002

Douglas Quebbeman wrote:

> Love the ST251. Any drive that still works after opening
> it up and blowing dust out of it with human breath is a
> wonder of engineering...

I used to make some of the prototype PC Boards for DMA Systems (since
sold to IIRC Ricoh) removeable hard drives. When I was up in
engineering, one of the engineers told me running them out in the open
air doesn't really hurt them, at least for the
evaluation/troubleshooting they were doing. It was not recommended
though in a dusty or smoke filled environment :). I still have one of
their PC Boards with the programmed CPU and schematic for disk testing.
Never took the time to build it up, but I wanted one ... just because
:).