DSQD Drives (Was: RE: Diags/Boot image for Altos 580)

From: Fred Cisin <cisin_at_xenosoft.com>
Date: Sun Mar 17 18:46:19 2002

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Doc wrote:
> Erck. That distant splash you just heard was the sound of Doc hitting
> the bottom of the well. We passed the "All Greek To Me" phase awhile
> back.

Sorry; some of the issues that came up do NOT matter for what you want to
do.

> So. The "fd0h720" device on my Debian Linux machine is defined as
> "/dev/fd0h720 5.25" 720K in a 1200K drive"
Perfect!
> Will the 1.2M drive write reliable QD disks? Note that I said "write
> reliable" not "reliably write". Several tries is no biggie.
Yes! (with the right blanks)

> > 360K (AND "QD") is 300 Oerstedts; 1.2M is 600 Oerstedts.
> Uh. OK. In dumbass terms, does that mean "no go"?

No, just DON'T use "High density" diskettes.
If you can find them, use diskettes rated for 720K usage.
If you CAN'T fine them, use 360K diskettes. Most of us have no problem
with using 360K diskettes, but SOME (including Tony) have had problems
with them. That might be due to his closer geographical proximity to
Stonehenge, or to the Greenwich meridian :-)

> No, dd doesn't care in the slightest what the file structure is. I've
> imaged disks with filesystems totally unknown to Linux with dd.
Perfect!
> Blocksize is sometimes an issue, but I've found that setting blocksize
> to "1" fixes that just fine.

> Or, if I had a copy of 22disk (yeah, I'll google in a minute) I
> suppose I could boot to DOS and do that. Does 22disk understand dd
> images? (Andreas already cut to the chase & imaged a couple of trial
> runs for me)

It should be able to do it without any problems.
If not, contact me off-list and I'll help you.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred        cisin_at_xenosoft.com