playing with the VAX 6460

From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz_at_unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
Date: Tue Mar 19 15:59:20 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 02:19:42AM -0500, Gunther Schadow wrote:

> Tried to build at least bash, but once again cpp woes in
> the lib/readline build
Have a look at the pdksh:
ftp://ftp.cs.mun.ca/pub/pdksh/
http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/utils/shells/pdksh/
ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/unix/shells/pdksh/
ftp://ftp.demon.net/pub/mirrors/pdksh/
ftp://ftp.rge.com/pub/shells/pdksh/
This is the ksh(1) of NetBSD. With
VISUAL=emacs
bind ^I=complete
set -o braceexpand
in your .profile it is that much easy to use for a long years bash user,
that I have no need for installing bash on a NetBSD machine.
And: I was able to get it build on 2.11BSD on my PDP 11/73!
(OK, it dups core at startup, but I got it compiled on a K&R
cmpiler with minor hacks and got the overlays managed.)

> (and readline is really my main reason for wanting bash!)
You mean all you want is a sh(1) like shell with history and command
line editing? Go for pdksh. It doesn't use readline, so there are some
differences in the editor, but you will get used to it soon.

> Tried to play with 4.3BSD sources, Tahoe and Quasijarus.
This will not be of much help. There is no support for the VAX6k
CPUs nor the XMI bus in any 4.3BSD.

> I must have FTPed the Quasijarus files in ASCII mode or
> Michael is using a strange compress format, as neither
> Ultrix compress nor gzip recognizes it as theirs.
FAQ: http://minnie.tuhs.org/Quasijarus/compress.html
Once you read that, you will understand that M. Sokolov has a,
uhhm, "very special" personality.

> Noticed that the TUHS archive's Tahoe version has some broken
> files (as noted in BROKEN) that's sad.
Get the CSRG archive CDs from Mr. McKusick:
http://www.mckusick.com/csrg/index.html
There is all the good old BSD stuff, direct from the Daemon him self.
--
tsch??,
         Jochen