ZX81 and 6116

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Sat Mar 23 03:25:25 2002

On Mar 22, 23:51, Glen Goodwin wrote:
> > From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>

> I read that using the 2114s saved Uncle Sir Clive 25p per unit.

When the 4118 was scarce, that was probably true.

> I've also
> noticed that on the earlier boards all the ICs were socketed, but the
later
> ones were spotty, socket-wise. Typical Sinclair chintziness.

Not necessarily. A soldered connection is generally more reliable than a
socketed one. For that reason, many manufacturers solder most parts,
unless they contain firmware that might need changed, or are custom parts
subject to revision (PALs, ULAs, etc).

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager