Unix disk images and archiving

From: Jeff Hellige <jhellige_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon Mar 25 06:00:26 2002

        I've gotten my '040 Cube's optical drive functioning again and now I
want to take the original distribution optical disks for various
versions of NeXTstep and make bootable copies of them on more usable
media, preferably for storage as disk images and as bootable volumes on
another SCSI disk. I was thinking of using another magneto-optical
drive, such as my Pinnacle Micro Sierra 1.3GB. I've got enough
optical disks to do this and the drive is an external MO. Is this
doable? The images will have to contend with up to 256MB of data and
must be fully writable to a new physical disk, including all boot
information.

        My '040 Cube is running NeXTstep 3.3 with CAPer, so if I made
images I could easily move them on to my main Mac for storage. The
distribution disks in question have NS 0.9, 1.0, 1.0a, 2.0, 2.1, and
3.0, as well as a non-bootable disk of 3.2. They've been verified as
readable and still containing the OS (on my '040 Cube after being
locked). Due to the unknown quality of the OD in my '030 Cube I
really don't want to try and boot one on it and I'd like to get them
to another media before I lose the ability to
read them altogether.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
          Thanks
          Jeff