My VMS Conundrums... [long - multiple replies]

From: Christopher Smith <csmith_at_amdocs.com>
Date: Tue Mar 26 12:35:35 2002

Well, a:

SET TERM/DEV=vt100 (I think)

will get you past that, but I don't know whether the console
will support enough VT escapes to run TPU. Maybe. :)

Try it and see. Generally the graphics subsystems on VAXen
are only used for running a windowing system. If you wanted
to run DECWindows, it's a different story.

> It was easier getting a full-screen text editor running on my
> CoCo, for
> crimeny sakes... [[and it has a real OS, to... ;-) ]]

Well, if your CoCo runs OS9, I'll agree with that last part.

Still, it shouldn't be such a problem on your VAX.

> be, if a little wordy (SET DEFAULT [000000] versus cd / ...
> thank god I top
> out at 110wpm... ;-) but I really wish it would have been a

Actually that's not as bad as it seems. First off, you
can abbreviate default to "DEF", and [000000] to [0,0]

Next, you generally don't need to change to the root
directory, because there's not much there aside from
the index file (which it's usually bad to manipulate
by hand ;)

VMS also will assume that if you

SET DEF [FOO]

FOO is in the root directory. Otherwise it wants you
to prepend a directory separator, and say [.FOO]

Chris

Christopher Smith, Perl Developer
Amdocs - Champaign, IL

/usr/bin/perl -e '
print((~"\x95\xc4\xe3"^"Just Another Perl Hacker.")."\x08!\n");
'