Unix disk images and archiving

From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl_at_proxima.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue Mar 26 15:18:55 2002

> Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 05:12:50 -0500
> To: classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org
> From: Jeff Hellige <jhellige_at_earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: Unix disk images and archiving
> Sender: owner-classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org
>
> >I think you will have to write a disktab entry for the MO drive. I had
> >to add one for the Jaz. NS3.3 is pretty good at determining disk
> >geometry if the drive supports the sense command. Since PM bit the
> >dust, I'm not sure if there is much documentation out there about the MO
> >drive. Also keep in mind that the NeXT cube SCSI implementation is
> >pretty primitive.
>
> Thanks James...I'll try the disktab from your other message.
>
> >One question, does the MO drive show up in the Workspace browser when
> >you insert a disk? I can't format a Jaz cart from the command prompt
> >with disk, but I can by selecting it in the GUi and then selecting Disk
> >Initialize....I don't know why.
>
> Yes, the DOS and Mac formatted disks mount automatically when
> the disks are inserted and on one it doesn't recognize it asks if I
> want to initialize. It fails initialization from the Workspace just
> as it did from the shell. I wasn't sure if NS supported
> 512bytes/sector or not on the MO.
>
> I'll let you know how the disktab works.

For what it's worth, I have used 3.5" MO disks on my NeXTs for many
years. They have 512 bytes/sector. I did have to write a disktab entry,
although the values in the table do not at all resemble the true
disk geometry. (1 head, 25 sectors, 10000 tracks approx.) Just
keep the product of heads * sectors * tracks less than the actual
number of sectors on the disk.

    carl
--
        carl lowenstein   marine physical lab   u.c. san diego
                                          clowenstein_at_ucsd.edu