Turbo BASIC (was Re: QL (was: ZX-81 Question))

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Wed Mar 27 07:48:31 2002

Unfortunately, the generalized tendency to "beat up" BASIC as a language for
micros, back in the late '70's and '80's, by those promoting the newer
"block-structured" languages, makes people look askance at work done in BASIC.
I had a partner who was quite adept at BASIC programming and put together a
very functional mail order/inventory control/accounts-receivable/payable
package in about a week. Within a second week, consisting of probably five
visits in seven days, he got it working very well in-situ, and our customer
liked it so well, that he bought two computers (which we were pressed to
provide, not being in the retail businsess) just to support his then growing
business.

I've found basic to be a handy tool, and, though it doesn't easily support
programming in the large, it does allow getting things done here and now. It
has lots of features, most of which I haven't ever been pressed to use, and
can do anything your computer can support, up to a point. If only I had a
dime for each time I used it to do a quick calculation ...

Dick