RK07 head lock???

From: Ethan Dicks <erd_6502_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Mar 29 09:52:25 2002

--- Mitch Wright <mew_list_at_swbell.net> wrote:
> Does anyone know how to park(lock) the heads on RK07 drives for moving?
>
> Thanks, Mitch

I haven't been inside an RK07 for about 10 years, but ISTR there's a
solonoid that releases the heads from park, not a head clamp. i.e. -
the heads lock by default when the drive spins down and don't unlock
unless the drive detects all is well. I have a distinct memory of
a deep, resounding *clunk* when the drive has just spun up - the head
lock release, IIRC.

You might ensure the heads are retracted all the way - a dead NiCd pack
might prevent that from happening (it provides juice for that final
seek) And don't get your fingers in between the positioner ears and
the magnet - it wants to put about 1/8" clearance when it retracts
fully and your finger will barely slow it down.

-ethan