The Future End of Classic Computing

From: James B. DiGriz <jbdigriz_at_dragonsweb.org>
Date: Fri Mar 29 12:07:28 2002

Douglas H. Quebbeman wrote:

> Sponsored by someone who must surely be certifiably
> insane, one Senator Fritz Hollings of South Carolina,
> if you want more information, see:

Hollings isn't insane, just venal and corrupt, and most likely
(conveniently) ignorant, like most politicians. If you think lying and
the evasion of responsibility are insane, you're ok in my book, Doug,
but the numbers aren't with us there. Even it reality does bite people
like Hollings in the ass eventually.

The "piracy" issue is a red herring here. Pointing it out, though, will
get you no more sympathy or support in many quarters than those who
noted that the American Civil War was about regional economic aggression
(and fueled by opportunistic war profiteering.)

Fortunately, though, "piracy" is a lot easier to defend on moral grounds
than slavery, when the real theft has been from third-parties by
copyright holders, and most importantly, from the public domain.

jbdigriz