QL-Quality (Was: ZX-81 Question)

From: Tothwolf <tothwolf_at_concentric.net>
Date: Sat Mar 30 06:16:01 2002

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Tony Duell wrote:

> > >Anyway, I repair my PCs to component level as well.. Doesn't everybody???
> >
> > No.
>
> OK, does _anybody_ (else)?

I do, when I have access to the parts I need. I don't yet have the proper
tools for soldering surface mount components, but I manage when I have to.

Speaking of repairs and parts, I just uncovered a box of mid to late 1970s
74/74LS TTL chips I got in an auction years ago. Most seem to be in good
shape, but some of them have their pins corroded due to the conductive
foam their previous owner stored them in. Anyone know of a good way to
clean the remaining crud and rust from the pins? Would an ultrasonic
cleaner be safe to use on chips this old? Some of those chips I'll likely
end up tossing since they lost pins to the corrosion.

-Toth