"New" PDP-8

From: jeff.kaneko_at_juno.com <(jeff.kaneko_at_juno.com)>
Date: Sat Mar 30 14:28:17 2002

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002 15:06:04 -0500 Dave McGuire <mcguire_at_neurotica.com>
writes:
> On March 30, Loboyko Steve wrote:
> > Well, no, it isn't. Because the cost of getting a PCB
> > made is less than the cost of a good electronics
> > technician, I think it started to die in the late
> > 80's. And, of course, its practically impossible to WW
> > BGA chips, etc.
>
> Not commonly used, or not the "latest greatest thing"? I know of
> several small outfits that do lots of wire-wrapping. And I mean
> *lots*.

Well yes, as a matter of fact, there are still many applications
where WW is really the best way to go. As a good example, bed-of-
nails test fixtures are typically wirewrapped. At the last
company where I was employed, I watched a re-work girl wire up
such a fixture (maybe 300 points or so) *BY HAND*, using a
manual wirewrap tool.

I brought in my squeeze-to-wrap wirewrap tool, and showed her how to
use it. This pleased her quite a bit (not to mention her supervisor).

For 500 connections or more, I'd a brung in my electric wirewrap
GUN.

Jeff

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.