Soldering and other skills (was Re: QL-Quality (Was: ZX-81

From: John Honniball <coredump_at_gifford.co.uk>
Date: Sun Mar 31 15:36:25 2002

Tony Duell wrote:
> The horrible modern ones with the PCB that you fixed little component
> headers to with 6BA nuts? Or the older ones with loose components and
> spring terminals that you pushed into a piece of pegboard?

The older, spring-terminal kind. There were transistors on little
square PCB mounts, a front panel with controls and lots of
ordinary components and wire. The most complex circuit was a
simple AM radio -- on which I listened to Radio Caroline, the
well-known pirate station of the time.

> I grew up with the latter. I still have most of them, and I found the
> manuals the other day. I have/had

Unfortunately, I no longer have my Philips kits.

--
John Honniball
coredump_at_gifford.co.uk