Soldering and other skills (was Re: QL-Quality (Was: ZX-81 Question))

From: Glen Goodwin <acme_ent_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun Mar 31 23:52:14 2002

> From: R. D. Davis <rdd_at_rddavis.org>

> All that person needs to do is get a soldering iron, solder, some bits
> of wire, a scrap circuit board, something to tin the iron with

[snip]

Sure, and all a person needs to do to become a violinist is to buy a violin
. . .

> and start practicing.

Practice doesn't always make perfect. Some people can't learn how to play.

> Learning to solder properly is not difficult. I was given a soldering
> iron and Radio Shack P-Box kits to build as a young child, when I was
> in elementary school. Hence, soldering is the sort of thing that even
> a young child can learn to do

Sure it is. I learned as a child, from my mother.

> so there's no excuse for any
> computer-collecting adult to not know how to do it.

Knowing how to do something and being able to do that thing are entirely
different. If my eyesight is gone and/or my eye-hand coordination is gone
and/or I have tremors, all the knowledge in the world won't get the job
done.

Glen
0/0