Selectric Typewriter conversions

From: Joe <>
Date: Tue Feb 4 08:25:01 2003

At 12:36 AM 2/4/03 -0800, you wrote:
>> Does anyone remember what was required to convert an IBM Selectric
>> Typewriter to a computer printer? I seem to recall a kit of some sort
>> was available, but my memory is
>> *really* hazy about that.

   Speaking of interfacing Selectrics. I was talking to my father about Teletypes the other day and he told me that he had thrown out an old "word processor" (my term not his). He said that it was a desk sized mechanical unit that had a keyboard and mechanical printer along with a paper tape punch/reader. He said that you could type in a letter and insert a pause any place where you wanted to insert unique data such as a name. The unit would save everything on punched paper tape. You could then feed the PT back into and it would type the letter. When it got to the pause it would stop and let you manually type in the name or other data and then it would continue and finish the letter. Does anyone know what these thing was? I think he must have gotten this after I left home because I don't remember ever seeing it. Unfortunately he threw it away several years ago.

Received on Tue Feb 04 2003 - 08:25:01 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:35:53 BST