Differential SCSI vs. SE ?

From: Patrick Finnegan <pat_at_purdueriots.com>
Date: Wed Feb 12 17:50:01 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Fred N. van Kempen wrote:

> All,
> Now that I inherited a nice set of StorageWorks enclusures with
> an HSZ40C controller, I might as well use it, no? I plan on
> connecting it to the primary file server of my "fun" network
> (also known as VAXlab, aka pdp11.nl) so I'll have more (and safer)
> storage there.
> Only prob is.. the HSZ40C has a diff-scsi port, whereas the machines
> have SE.
> Is this easily converted with a cable, or will I be doing resistor-
> balancing and/or use a signal converter box?

It can't be done with just passive components.. ie you will need either a
differential<->single-ended converter or a differential SCSI card. If
you're using a machine that takes PCI cards, then a card will be cheaper,
but if you're using it with a VAX or PDP-11, etc, I'm doubtful you'll find
a differential-scsi interface, and will need to buy an interface box.

If you need/want a PCI wide/differential SCSI card, I have several Adaptec
AHA-3944AUWD's (with PC BIOS ROMs) that I would be willing to sell at a
'reasonable' price (probably $40 + shipping).

As far as 'converter boxes' go, I don't know what one would cost, because
I've never had to buy one.

Purdue Universtiy ITAP/RCS
Information Technology at Purdue
Research Computing and Storage
Received on Wed Feb 12 2003 - 17:50:01 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:35:54 BST