Neon logic

From: Dan Veeneman <dan_at_ekoan.com>
Date: Sat Mar 1 00:01:00 2003

On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 06:33 PM, Tony Duell wrote:
> There's a reasonable book on this subject called 'Cold Cathode Tube
> Circuit Design'. It covers things like gas-filled voltage stabilisers,
> trigger tubes (the cold cathode thyratrons you mention), dekatrons,
> etc.

I have two other books at hand that cover these topics.

"Cold Cathode Discharge Tubes" (J.R. Acton and J.D. Swift, 1963) is
a more analytical and mathematical approach (with chapters like
"Mobility and Diffusion of Positive Ions in Gases" and "Electron-Ion
Recombination and Afterglow Studies") to the design of tube circuits.
There are separate chapters for trigger circuits, dekatrons, and even
particle counters.

"Digital Counters and Computers" (Ed Bukstein, 1960) is a more
practical book, with a large number of circuits for different types of
counters. There are schematics for most of the tube-based counting
and arithmetic circuits you could think of (at least for 1960). There's
even a nice chapter on storage, including a description of core
memory and a tube-based read and write circuit.

Cheers,

Dan
www.decodesystems.com/wanted.html