Reading a VMS CD-ROM for SIMH under Windows?

From: Vassilis Prevelakis <vp_at_mcs.drexel.edu>
Date: Sat Mar 1 13:27:00 2003

--- Ethan Dicks <erd_6502_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> There is no way any of this will make him see the light about Linux
> or UNIX or anything... he's an HP Customer Engineer on assignment
> with a company laptop and a Digital Personal Alpha Workstation (VMS)
> by his desk (no CD-R drive).

Although I don't think this will help this particular guy, I would
like to say that I have solved the usual "Do I run Windows or {Linux,*BSD}
on my laptop" dilema by running both at the same time under VMware.

I have installed OpenBSD on a separate partition (so that I can boot
native if I have to), but I mostly boot Windows 2000 and run OpenBSD
under VMware. I can then run a Windows-based X-Server (eXceed) and
talk to the OpenBSD, and even use samba (on the OpenBSD) to mount
filesystems from the Windows side. VMware allows direct access to
devices (e.g. CDROM, USB,e tc) which means that I can mount any kind
of CD and access it using Unix tools). OpenBSD can even see the network
so that I can run ssh, IPsec etc from the OpenBSD environment rather than
messing with the Windows equivalents.

(like I said this is general FYI, which may or may not be particularly
applicable to that particular guy).

**vp