DEC Server 300

From: chris <cb_at_mythtech.net>
Date: Sun Mar 2 00:20:00 2003

>A DECserver 300 is about 19"x12"x4.5", weighs 10-15 lbs (guessing), and has
>16 MMJ's (modified modular jack), an AUI (thickwire Ethernet), and a
>10Base5 (coax Ethernet) connection on the rear. Mine has a "tabletop"
>plastic shell on it with rubber feet under it, although many of these were
>sold without the case and were rack mounted. My unit has a beige-ish plastic
>shell over a gray metal box. Units without the plastic shell with be gray
>and "gold" alodyne finished" aluminum.

Ok, then I'm pretty sure it isn't in the dumpster. Something of this
size/appearance would have caught my eye. If it had been along the lines
of a PC desktop or tower case, I could see that I might have over looked
it, but anything rack mount I think I would have noticed. But I think I
may take another swing by tomorrow during the day. The place should be
closed since Paramus has annoying Blue Laws and nothing is allowed to be
open on a Sunday. So that should give me some daylight and peace to dig
some more.

>Please PLEASE keep the book - I am sure someone will want it as they are
>MUCH harder to locate than the device itself! I would ask for it but I
>already have both the DECserver and a manual.

I don't think it is a complete manual. There are two, both still
shrinkwrapped, but they are more like a booklet then a manual. Pretty
small. I don't recall what exactly they said on them. I plan to sort thru
the stuff Monday. There may be other manuals that I missed. There is TONS
of junk paperwork in the dumpster, so locating manuals would be a chore.
If it doesn't pretty much land in your hand, it is unlikely to be spotted.

There is one person on the list who has right of first refusal on the DEC
stuff. Once he has taken what he wants, if there is anything left, I'll
offer it up to the list.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>