Dumpster Diving Goodies

From: Robert F. Schaefer <rschaefe_at_gcfn.org>
Date: Sun Mar 2 08:58:01 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "chris" <cb_at_mythtech.net>
To: <cctalk_at_classiccmp.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2003 1:19 AM
Subject: Re: Dumpster Diving Goodies

> > The key taped on top lets the VAX be switched from the VT to the
> >modem, thus allowing DEC access to the computer. What color is the key?
>
> Kind of grey. It looks like a tube lock type key, but there is nothing in
> the center. So the whole key seems to just be the one little pin sticking
> out from it. Obviously not meant for security, but more to prevent
> accidental turning of the "lock".

Says `Anti-static' on it? That's what I got with my VAX 6320 to turn it on.
It also fits in the remote console box, although it might not be the
Official DEC Part to Turn The Switch. Then again, maybe it is.

> And it came untaped from the top in transport, so now the key is loose in
> a box with all the cables. I didn't notice anything I grabbed that looked
> like it could use the key.

It'll also fit some/all of the pedestal-VAXen, like the BA440. You'd know
if one of those was in the box...

> -chris

Bob