Looking for a 486 system...

From: jpero_at_sympatico.ca <(jpero_at_sympatico.ca)>
Date: Sun Mar 2 16:54:00 2003

> Oy! I have *one*, count it, ONE, machine in my entire collection
> *over* 1GHz, only because the AMD chip was a throbbing $95 (it replaced
> an 800MHz chip). On my day-to-day ops, I spend most of my time on this
> P-133 laptop, and on a P-III 350. If people want to throw sub-GHz hardware
> away, I'll gladly take motherboards, CPUs and RAM. :-) I'd like to
> put together a 600MHz machine together for Daphne/MAME, but not enough
> to spend "real" money on it.
>
> As I've written about here before, I have a device programmer that
> does not like fast machines. I think part of it is that ISA speeds

Snip!

> ISA machine I can find, and playing with BIOS settings, disabling internal
> and external cache, etc.
>
> -ethan

Ethan & to others,

I once ran into a lunch box b/w LCD portable that once had 286 in
it (baby AT size, smug fit at that). I plugged in an 486 or pentium
board in it and LCD controller (ISA only) spat out crap once cache is
enabled and shadowing the video bios loads.

With external & internal cache and shadowing disabled, things went
great. Try that on yours.

That lunchox was too much trouble and my intention was using it with
pentium in it but that LCD controller was the problem spot so I
ditched it.

And I can't use my P75 either because of flickering pixels. It is
not the panel itself it is somewhere else in the circuitry or display
board.

In meantime, informal search for good lunchbox continues.

Cheers,

Wizard