King of the string has Stringy floppy day

From: philpem_at_dsl.pipex.com <(philpem_at_dsl.pipex.com)>
Date: Wed Mar 5 08:35:00 2003

> > Anyway, anyone have experience with a stringy floppy for a
> > commodore? It's called a "Quick Data Drive".
>
> I'm wondering if anyone actually *bought* these QDDs, every one I see
> including my own are brand new and have a brand new system tape; people try
> and sell 'em on epay as 'wow' etc :) Mine's badged as 'Entrepo' and I'm
> pretty sure it's a single drive version of the Rotronics 'Wafadrive' that
> was available for the Speccy and C64.
I've got one too - but I didn't get a system tape or a blank tape with it. If anyone wants to part with a System tape and a few blanks, well, my email address is philpem {at} dsl {dot} pipex {dot} com.

> That one was built round a BSR tape
> mechanism (the same people that made vinyl turntables in the 70s).
Yep - opened my QDD up - BSR's logo is on the tape mech.

> I don't
> think it can be classed as a stringy floppy though, since that accolade used
> to belong to (in the UK anyway) a device called the 'Phloopy' which was a
> plastic case similar to, but bigger than, the Sinclair Microdrive but
> instead of a neverending reel of tape it just had the tape 'loose' inside
> the cart.....
And it never got tangled up? Amazing...

Later.
--