VAXstation 4000/60 /90 question

From: Stuart Johnson <ssj152_at_charter.net>
Date: Wed Mar 5 23:58:00 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeffrey S. Worley" <Technoid_at_30below.com>
To: <cctalk_at_classiccmp.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 10:35 PM
Subject: RE: VAXstation 4000/60 /90 question

> Don't bother trying to take the face off the machine. The case was
> designed by someone with a real sense of humor.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeff

I keep an external RRD40 or similar around just to solve problems like this.
It is very useful to be able to boot standalone backup using a CD. It also
greatly simplifies creating system disks for a new version of OpenVMS. All
of my Alpha's (except the Multia) have CDRom's built in, but only one of my
VAXstations (a 4000-60) has a CDRom.

I got an InfoServer 1000 (just the brick) a while back and will soon be
looking for several more RRD type drives to populate it with. When the
InfoServer is in service I will use it to boot systems for the purpose of
upgrades, etc. Infoservers are VERY handy gadgets.

Stuart Johnson