Mark-8 Minicomputer Kit on E-bay & 2114's

From: Ethan Dicks <erd_6502_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Mar 7 15:59:00 2003

--- Heinz Wolter <h.wolter_at_sympatico.ca> wrote:
> If you were wirewrapping or point to point soldering, you
> might consider 2114 static rams. Might be easier to get
> hold of thah 2101/2102s or 1101, but they won't fit into
> the original or copied Mark-8 boards.

Personally, I have quantities of 2114s left over from the COMBOARD-I
parts tubs (32K of SRAM each) and plenty of dud COMBOARDs I could
strip if I *ever* ran out.

As has been discussed here, though, they have long-term reliability
issues, but they are still widely available. BG Micro stocks them
as well as 2102s, IIRC.

> The pain and weakness of the Mark 8 design is the bus
> connection scheme- soldered wires and molex across the top.

It's ugly and prone to problems, I know.

If I can find a quantity of 44-pin .156" proto hardware at Dayton
this year, I'm considering wrapping my own. I need a supply of
WW wire, too... I'm down to two spools. I need some 44-pin cards
anyway for Commodore and Cosmac VIP projects.

-ethan