Collecting silicon wafers

From: ben franchuk <bfranchuk_at_jetnet.ab.ca>
Date: Sun Mar 9 12:41:01 2003

Philip Pemberton wrote:

> The ultimate trophy: Design an IC, make it work on first silicon. Take one
> of the first wafers and get it sealed or laminated (or whatever). Frame it
> on the wall, with a metal plate underneath: "This die contains [n]
> [suchandsuch] devices. The original production run worked flawlessly on
> first silicon. Design team: [whoever]".
> My sole aim in life is to take part in the design of a microprocessor, have
> it run on first silicon and have an entire silicon wafer full of the chips
> on the wall at home :-)
> If only VLSI design was as easy as designing a computer :-)

Well TTL is easy to design with. Feel free to take any of my TTL
designs (when finished) and cast it into silicon. Note once I get
my TTL computer design debuged and built ( the slow and $$$ parts )
I would like to do a VLSI design just to see how good or bad
the design is compared to other real chips.
Ben.