Info on Dataspeed's products

From: Gary P. Apte <apteconsulting_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Sun Mar 9 23:36:59 2003

Happened to find this thread while searching for old colleagues; thought
I would send you some info.

I worked as an R&D Engineer at Dataspeed from during 1983-85, and was
the principal developer of the Modio software. I left when Lotus
purchased Dataspeed, and sadly, my stock options became worthless.

With regards to the thread (included below), we were using the sideband
on the PBS FM stations. At the time I left, we were airing stock,
commodities, and futures data during "market hours", and sports during
off-hours. The service was by subscription, and there was a hash
algorithm which used the unit's serial number and the subscriber account
number to generate the flags which activated various services. If
memory serves, the flags were "splattered" across the memory map, e.g.
bits in different locations together formed the service byte for a
service.

Lost contact with the other engineers and staff. One engineer is
installing Internet in churches in Korea; one of the co-founders owned a
sports bar in Pacifica, CA. But all this is old info.

I still do have a framed Quotrek on my office wall !

Pass on this info as you deem fit.
Gary Apte

It's my understanding (infamously unreliable) that Lotus Signal was
descended from DataSpeed's Modio which was descended from DataSpeed's
Quotrek which dates back as far as 1981. - Jim

Jim Keohane, Multi-Platforms, Inc.

   "It's not whether you win or lose. It's whether you win!"