6809 Board ID, take 2...

From: Roger Merchberger <zmerch_at_30below.com>
Date: Mon Mar 10 23:19:00 2003

At 21:39 03/10/2003 -0600, you wrote:

> From the picture of the board profile I see 4 Rockwell modem chips. From the
>rail end I see 4 RJ11 ports. I would label this a as a "smart" 4 port modem
>card. No doubt some of the chips are ram and there is at least one rom chip
>with the stored code for the embedded processor. The 2 Toshiba chips
>(TC55257BPL-85) near the middle of the board are static RAM

Yes, 64K worth, more than enough to run OS-9 Level 1.... which is what I
was wondering about... if this was an OS-9 ISA board. I know they *existed*
but didn't know if one fell in my lap.

There is no ROM onboard ( unless it's disguised *very* heavily... ;-) so it
must load whatever code runs on the 68B09 from the main system.

[[ the thread entitled "Re: Please help with Board ID" is also about this
board & has a list of other chips on the board... ]]

This came in with (2) AT&T 3B2/EXP machines (according to one website I
found, they're roughly equivalent to a 3B2/1000 Model 70) 22Mhz AT&T CPU,
with MMU & math coprocessor. The one that didn't boot had 1 16Meg RAM card
in it... wonder what that cost back in '90 (when the machine was built)!!!
The other successfully booted into Unix, but we had no root password, so
that's as far as we got...

If it's just a glorified StarLan network adapter, then I think I'm better
off keeping it for parts for my CoCo... -- unless I could find memory maps
& other info on it... then it might be fun to tinker with...

>Stuart Johnson

Thanks!
Roger "Merch" Merchberger