Please help with Board ID

From: Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue Mar 11 16:48:00 2003

> It's got 64K of RAM -- not sure why a multiport board would need that much

Perhaps it's (also?) some kind of custom network card. That could explain
the 6854 and the RAM.

> "oomph..." ;-) and it's got 4 or 5 PALs (I think... they've got labels on
> them ["XPC U23" is the label of one - the labels correspond to the

I guess the product is called the 'XPC' then. The 'PC' part would appear
to be obvious...

> silkscreen of the sockets]) I didn't want to peel the labels, altho I don't
> mind -- I'd rather see things work, than labels stay in place... ;-)
>
> It's also got 2 single-hex-digit rotary dial switches [0-F] not sure what
> those would be used to select... Not that many DMA channels in an AT class

Network address?

> machine, unless it needs 2 IRQs? (They're pointing to 5 and 6, currently)
>
> Also, there are 3 1488's and 3 1489s, so maybe the first port isn't RS232?
> Dunno...

You can't conclude that. There are 4 independant driver or receiver
circuits in each chip. It could easily be 3 per external connector. These
connectors have 8 pins, right? In which case, one has to be signal
ground. I could well believe 3 outputs (TxD, RTS, DTR, say) and 3 inputs
(RxD, CTS, DSR (or DCD)) for each port.

> Oh, and the card's a full length, or damn near, anyway... ;-)
>
> Anywho, I'll write back when I have pix... Tony - is there any format of
> pictures you can view, or are you text-only? I have some software that can

My PC is still text-only. I have access to a Mac, but transfering stuff
onto it is a pain. So I probably can't easily view the pictures (and I
probably couldn't deduce that much from them anyway).

-tony