collecting silicon wafers

From: Dwight K. Elvey <dwightk.elvey_at_amd.com>
Date: Wed Mar 12 11:51:13 2003

Hi
 These are usually made on a glass plate. They look
like a larger version of only one of the dies of a wafer.
Some are actual size but most are done with steppers now days.
The glass has a thin metal coat on one side ( mirror looking ).
I think they use chromium but I don't recall. You can see
that layer's detail by holding it up to the light. The metal
has been remove in places. It is kind of like a negative and
used the same way.
 The ones for things like uP's of today, include a set of
about 30 or 40 for different parts of the processing. A full
set of these cost about 0.5 M$ to make.
Dwight